The Jackson’s home was constructed around 1910 when the region was a wilderness. It is a good example of Florida’s historic “cracker” style of vernacular architecture with the deep porches and large windows for cross-ventilation. The center portion of the home, made of Florida pine, is the oldest part of the house and is distinctive in its simplicity. The Jacksons added the North bedroom and bathroom and installed indoor plumbing. Until 1989, Laura lived in her home without electricity using kerosene for heat and light and propane to cook.
After her death in 1991, a group of concerned individuals created the non-profit Laura (Riding) Jackson Home Preservation Foundation to save the home as a focal point for the study of literature, history, architecture and the environment.
The Jackson home was first moved on August 9, 1994 to the Environmental Learning Center, and again on July 14, 2019 to Indian River State College’s Mueller Campus. Ongoing preservation of the home is a major goal of the Foundation. The home is open for public tours. The home is registered as a Friends of the Library USA National Literary Landmark and is listed on the Florida Literary Map.
Currently open by appointment only: 772-569-6718
Suggested donation of $5 per person.