The Laura (Riding) Jackson Teen Fellowship is a prestigious award that recognizes students who demonstrate dedication and commitment to the development of their literary skills and talents.
To become an LRJF Teen Fellow, you must:
- Attend 3 official Teen Writing Workshops sponsored by the Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation. One of the workshops may be an online workshop.
- Submit an original piece of writing inspired by one of the workshops attended. It must be submitted within 30 days of the date of the workshop.
- Submit a final piece of writing inspired by your overall participation in the Teen Writing Workshops. Include a separate, one-paragraph justification as to how the workshop inspired or helped you write your final submission. See below for more details.
To submit a final, original writing sample and be considered for a Fellowship Award, it must fulfill the following criteria:
- The writing sample must be an original, creative piece initially inspired by the student’s participation in a Teen Writing Workshop. Poems, short stories, personal narratives or essays, graphic novels, plays, song lyrics, and creative non-fiction pieces are all acceptable.
- Prose samples should be 500-1,000 words; poetry submission should be either one long poem or three shorter poems totaling 500-1,000 words.
- Research papers or other school assignments will not be accepted.
- Submissions will include an introductory paragraph explaining the inspiration for the piece as well as some brief commentary on the writing process involved.
- The submission must be a polished final draft, double spaced in 12 point font, submitted in a Word document format that is suitable for publication on our website.
Teen Writing Fellows will be formally recognized with certificates at an award ceremony at which they will have the opportunity to read their work to the audience and the option to publish their work on our website.
The next Teen Fellows Award Ceremony will be held at the Writing Center in May 2023. The deadline for getting your submissions in for the May awards is April 30, 2023.